Saturday, March 24, 2007

You might not want to read this one


No CT scan results yet. Apparently I will get those when I go in for chemo on Monday. Waiting for results over a weekend always sucks, but it is the norm in the medical world.


I did get my bloodwork results since I was in their office yesterday for 3 hours anyway. Everything is back up into normal range. Should be even higher by Monday, so chemo #15 is ON.

No real plans for the weekend other than to get a few things accomplished around the house, and to rest up for Monday.

Wednesday night with Toye and Steph was wonderful as usual. We made dinner, drank some wine, talked and laughed. I will see again them soon for a Royals home opener party at Steph's house on April 2, and then again on April 13 for the Rod Stewart concert. We are talking about getting a room at the downtown Marriott so we won't have to drive as far and we can get more girl/talking time in.

Everyone in the BC world is freaking out about Elizabeth Edwards' recurrence. I will cut and paste some thoughts about it that say it much better than I can later. My thoughts are: it is sad, I hate it, it is every cancer patient's worst nightmare. And...welcome to my world, I have been here for almost a year now.

In fact, it was exactly this time last year that I was trying to get my doctors to believe that I knew something was going on in my body that just wasn't right. That subject is an entire blog unto itself, as is the ever-growing list of all of the other mistakes, mishaps, and snotty/condescending attitudes from some of the staff I experience each and every single time I walk into that place. Being condescended to and/or patronized are one of my biggest pet peeves, and a sure fire way to tick me off.

But I digress.

I am glad they have put the phrase "not curable, but treatable" out there. And that they have said that she will be on some kind of treatment for the rest of her life. Hopefully that will take care of the question I get asked over and over again that no one really likes to hear the answer to...least of all me: "When will you be done?" Never. I will never be done. I will be on something until the cancer (or something else) kills me, or until the drugs do. Harsh? Yes. But like I said, welcome to my world.

Unfortunately, there really is no sugar coating the reality of being Stage 4.

(Hey, don't say I didn't warn you...and I still sugar coated a lot!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some times the truth hurts…breast cancer is NOT the pretty cancer all wrapped in a pink ribbon that the media would like us to believe. It is an ugly, cruel thing that needs to be eradicated from the earth.

I think we are all just waiting for the day we wake up to the word CURE. I Do think it is coming…I just wish we could light a fire under the research world…we need a cure NOW….too many women are in treatment limbo.

As someone who is just one cat scan from more treatment, I DO understand. So…I’m sending hugs and prayers and hopes for a cure, not just another stop-gap treatment.

Stepping off my rather large soap box now and returning you to your regularly scheduled day :)

Hugs
Deb C

Kelly said...

heehee...i agree with you 1millionbilliontrillionkajillion percent!

hey, i thought you were taking a vacation...get outta here!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL...My "vacation" lasted all of 29 hours...i am SUCH a dork. I had to have my "fix"

This whole Elizabeth Edwards thing really threw me for a loop, but I'm feeling better today.

I'll be thinking of you Monday. Hopefully you will have good company in the next chair...

Hugs
Deb C
The On-line addict LOL