Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Push for the Cure

I just stumbled across this and thought it was pretty cool that these four guys would do this. Click on their logo above to go to their site, be sure to look at their pics and watch the AB-Medicine Hat&Calgary video. Makes my heart melt to to see all of those future men wearing pink shirts for this cause.

Here's what their website says:
Why breast cancer?

Not to start spouting facts, but breast cancer is currently the number one disease affecting Canadian women. At present, one in nine women is diagnosed with breast cancer. So why breast cancer? Well, not to sound insensitive, but as four young men, what do we love more? Women. You may be laughing, but it’s the truth. More specifically, we love our mothers, sisters, girlfriends, and one day wives and daughters. In fact, there is nothing we wouldn’t do for these women, including skate across the country.


(click on the picture to see a video)

A question that comes up frequently is regarding whether or not we know someone with breast cancer. The answer is no. We are not doing this because someone we know has been diagnosed, we’re doing it because someone we know will be. That fact is simply too much for us to stand by and accept. This is why our focus throughout this project is to raise awareness among young people. We want to make certain that young men and women are fully aware of the risk. Additionally, the funds raised from this event are going towards prevention, education, early detection, and screening programs. Our goal is not to simply respond to a problem, it is to eliminate it. If we can start catching this disease before it is too late, we may find ourselves in a world without breast cancer. As they say, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

'A world without breast cancer'...can you imagine?!!?

Seriously, sometimes I think I'm an 8th grade boy trapped in the body of a 41 year old woman, I LOVE skateboarding (watching it, not doing it), and I laugh uncontrollably at the most immature stuff (South Park, Family Guy, people tripping, double entendres, bathroom humor, etc.).


I'm feeling pretty crappy this week. I think my body is trying to fight off the cold that everyone seems to have right now...kinda hard to do with a compromised immune system, but I just can't afford to get sick right now. I blame it on the erratic weather we've been having lately, we can go from using the AC to using the heater all in one day. Typical fall (and spring) weather in KC.

I'm hoping to start feeling better by Friday, I would hate to go into my next chemo already feeling down. Sleep is what I need most right now, but it's eluding me once again. Tonight I think I'll take some echinacea and Tylenol PM. I've got two days to try to build myself up for the next round. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kelly!

So glad we moved our book club meeting till November. You need to get rest and a good night's sleep and not be worrying about how many for dinner. Take care and keep your pretty smile on your face. Lela