Saturday, January 13, 2007

How Soon is Now?


There's a club if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home, and you cry, and you want to die

When you say it's gonna happen now
Well, when exactly do you mean
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone

You shut your mouth, how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human, and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

How Soon is Now?
The Smiths
(click on above pic to hear song)

Don't worry, that depressing song has nothing to to with the way I'm feeling right now. I just like those lyrics and they've been stuck in my head for a few days now.

I found another blogger who has cancer (there are lots of us out there in the blogoshpere). His name is
Leroy Sievers, he says a lot of great things that I can relate to in his blog, here's an excerpt of just one of his posts that spoke to me:
I think those of us with cancer are trying to understand ourselves. How did this happen, what does it mean, what will happen? There really are very few answers for those questions. And there is so much medical information to try to understand, as well: new terms, new concerns, a flood of new information. And always that nagging feeling that somewhere, buried in all that information, might be the answers we need.

And of course, that big question, "Why me?" We've talked a lot about that on this blog, and most of us agree it's not a question that's really worth asking. And of course, it, too, has no answer.

What I think we miss sometimes is how important it is for the people in our lives to understand what is happening to us. We know. We know the symptoms, the feelings. We live with all that every second of every day. But we don't always talk about it. Sometimes I think it's easy to forget that not everyone is going through this. Our lives become so routine, so mundane -- even the bad parts -- that we don't think to tell someone else. We don't think that maybe they want to know. That they need to know.

What exactly do people want to know? What it feels like? How it totally upends our lives and takes over so much? How we lose control of our lives? One friend asked me today about whether I felt pain. He was concerned about that.

Cancer is such a foreign experience, so unlike anything that most of us have ever been through. It must be even more mysterious to those on the other side of the line, those who haven't crossed over into cancer world.

I think you all know how I feel about this. I think that you have to talk about it, no matter how unpleasant that may be for the speaker or the listener. We owe it to our loved ones to honor their need to know, to try to understand what has happened to us. So talk about it. Answer their questions. And hope, with all of your might, that they will never ever get to know cancer firsthand.

There's more where that came from and I'll share more at another time, I'm sure. In the meantime, if you want to read more of Leroy's stuff you can click on his name up top and I have added a link over in the sidebar as well.

It sleeted in KC yesterday and it's sleeting again today. They are calling for snow now. My computer weather channel icon says it's 17 degrees.

I'm laying low again this weekend. I have a roast in the crock pot and I'm wrapped up in a soft cozy blanket that my dependable friend Vinda gave me yesterday (thanks and winkwink, Vin!).


My bloodwork from yesterday indicated that my counts are still in the danger zone, so I'm supposed to be taking the usual precautions. Oops, and I had a big salad yesterday for lunch thinking it was safe to venture into the world of leafy greens again. Oh, dear lettuce, why dost thou forsake me?

And why is that when you're told you can't have something it's what you want the most?


Friend+Enemy=Frienemy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kel, i have to say, and i think i can say for all your bud's. we (or at least our circle of friends) have always shared, then laughed, cried or really really discussed in detail pretty much every aspect of our lives, from the smallest, tiniest insignificant things(such as my text yesterday~blah~ to cool paperclips) to the huge things, this wicked cancer being the biggest. I mean we talk, all the way through life and this is the topic now. It's not something any of as can fix and we keep trying to! we keep educating ourselves and talking about it and it (cancer)is something you will figure out how to fight and beat! it's not as easy as just buying a new pair of shoes or a bottle of wine. Any thing that is going on with you is important to me and i wanna talk about! whether it be cancer OR how great sand feels on your bare toes! we are all getting older and thank goodness we have friends to lean on because with kids and parents getting older too we all will need each other more! but we all will understand when you DONT want to talk about cancer anymore and talk about something else! we are all here kel! hang on sweetie! sometimes life is a roller coaster with ups and downs and sometimes you puke! dont know if my thots come across clear just know we are here and this is the time you can boss us all around!!! i luv ya sweetie!!

Kelly said...

vin,

hope ya'll had a good escape to the lake and made it home safely.

yes, yes...the group of friends i have been blessed with do all share everything. sometimes we might 'over-share' or give TMI according to other peoples' standards, but that's just the way we are. which works for me cuz i'm not real good at censoring myself.

i don't always share everything now cuz let's face it, this stuff is depressing and scary and some of it is just downright gross.

like you witnessed on friday...there's a reason we have hair in our noses. without it your nose will drip non-stop to the point where you actually contemplate stuffing cotton balls up your nose just to make it stop.

oh hey, and speaking of wine!!!! i was making dinner yesterday, dancing & singing while listening to some tunes in the kitchen thinking how nice it would be to have a lil drink. but instantly i was bumming cuz my beloved vodka bottle was empty, and i wasn't about to stop what i was doing, actually put on something other than the flannel pants i wore all weekend, and venture out on the ice-covered roads of kc just to slip and slide my way to the liquor store. and then i remembered, "I HAVE WINE IN THE FRIDGE!!!!!". i was SOOO excited, i can't even tell you how much so.

thank you again for the white merlot, it ab-so-lute-ly made my day/night!!!

so, there you go....a whole comment mostly about snot and wine.

oh, and what else is new about me bossing everyone around? i've been doing that for years!!! :o)

luv ya sweets,
kel