Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Importance of a 5-Point Harness Car Seat


Kyle David Miller
3/13/2002 - 5/29/2005


If you can't view this video through my blog, you can view it here


I can’t tell you how much his story has touched me.

The Kyle David Miller Foundation was started by a family who tragically lost their 3 year old son when his booster seat failed. The foundation provides 5-point car seats to families who can’t afford to buy them.

The goals of the foundation are:

1. To educate the public about seatbelt failure and car seat safety.

2. To provide safe carseats to those who otherwise could not afford them.

3. To seek and promote legislation that will increase driver safety through more stringent testing standards.

4
. To work with auto manufacturers toward the continued improvement of seatbelts and vehicle safety devices.

Their mission is to keep children in a 5-point safety harness up to 80 pounds. They are accepting applications from families who cannot afford to purchase these seats and are supplying those seats through our tax-free donations.


I am passing this along not only so that you can visit their site, but also so that those of you with children under 80 pounds are aware of the danger.

Are all of your 80 pound and under children in a 5-point restraint car seat?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

This is such an emotional story,I am up here crying like a baby. Thank you for sharing this with everybody as it's a VERY important issue that I think alot of parents are unaware of. I know as a mother of 3 I didn't know about it. It makes me want to put my 16 yr old in one! LOL!!!!

Take care sweetie!
Heather

Kelly said...

I know! I don't have any children of my own and I was bawling my head off too. I think of everyone's kids as my own children.

Maybe parents of young ones know about this already. But I figured if it even makes ONE more person more aware then that is a good thing...a VERY good thing.

Hugs Girlie,
Kel

Becky said...

Kel -
I've seen this before...this story is what made me decide that no matter what the expense we were going to purchase the Britax carseats for BOTH cars so we knew Izabella would be safe. Thanks for passing the word along. I hope your feeling well...it was great to see you on Saturday.
xxx,Bec

Kelly said...

Becky,

I'm glad you already knew about this for my baby niece. Thanks for being such an awesome mom!!!

But hey, you can't make her a bad singer by singing aloud to her. Our mom is a terrible singer and I'm really good. So, there ya go...get to singing!!! :o)

Love Always,
Kel

p.s. - I had a great time seeing everyone on Saturday!!!