Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Update


We've still got snow on the ground here in KC...and lots of snowpeople everywhere too. Having been born in Florida and living there until I was 10, I didn't see snow or build a snowman until a bit later in life than some. I still get excited when it snows...as long as I can still get and and about, that is. Our latest snow has been perfect for that.

I am still adjusting to my new Monday chemo schedule. So far, so good. In addition, I've cut back on the steroids, I took my last dose yesterday morning as opposed to being on them until later this week. I am carrying them with me just in case the chemo side effects start to kick in hard core.

More from Leroy on all of the tests and procedures that we go through:
It's funny how all this can change your perspective. Having poison pumped into your veins? That's just another day in the chemo room. CT scans...that means you have to drink that vile mixture containing the contrast dye. MRI? Loud noises for a while, no big deal.

I don't know that you really get used to having all these things done to your body. Some are painful, others are a piece of cake. I think you just get used to the whole process, that whole world. You show up periodically when and where they tell you, people do things to you, and then you go on to the next one. It's all part of our lives. Or should I say our new lives.

We don't become passive or uninvolved. Quite the contrary. Because each time, with each new procedure (or an old procedure for the hundredth time), we all carry the same thing into those rooms. A little bit of hope that this time, it may work. It may help. The results may be negative. The scans may be clean. And that hope allows you to put up with all sorts of pain and discomfort.

That said (or more accurately cut and pasted), I have decided to go ahead and have the MRI to further investigate what's going on with the spot that showed up in my pelvis at last week's bone scan. Better safe than sorry, I suppose. If it's nothing then at least I'll know that and have some peace of mind. If it's something, then we can come up with a new game plan sooner rather than later.

Dr. Doane is out of the office this week, so I can't schedule the MRI until she returns and orders the test for me. I am hoping to have it done prior to my 2/12 chemo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kel,

I'm glad you are doing the test, too. Knowledge is power.

Luv ya,
Shell